Friday, April 12, 2013

Ombre

WOW, isn't it weird how once you notice something you start to see it everywhere?  I first saw a card on Angela's blog From the Tool Shed that uses ombre and thought it would be a great way to use up some of my old Bazzill cardstock that I have in 5 different shades.  Then just a few days later the challenge at Operation Write Home's Midweek Throwdown was to create a card using ombre.  I knew then that I had to give this a try so I CASE'd Angela's card. (She has a link to a tutorial for the card, too!)  What an easy way to make a card!  I feel like my card needs something else - Angela's card has a cluster of flowers on it, but she made hers larger than mine.  To fit in a standard envelope, my card is 4.25 x 4.25 which didn't give me much space.  What would you suggest to jazz it up?!  I may be making more of these in the future and would love to incorporate your ideas.

Supplies:
card stock - Bazzill
ink - SU! Pumpkin Pie
stamp - Inspired Stamps
adhesive - Xyron, this gave full adhesive coverage making the card quick and easy to put together

Here's the definition of ombre, but would you call it a design style, a technique or something else entirely?  The origin is from the French and Italian words that mean "to shade."

Definition of OMBRÉ

: having colors or tones that shade into each other —used especially of fabrics in which the color is graduated from light to dark
Source: www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ombre

6 comments:

  1. How about running the whole brown section thru an embossing folder to give it texture and then mounting on the white?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Cindy. Texture would be very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Texture would add some interest...and maybe a big of sparkle or pearl pen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would consider it a technique. The embossing to add texture sounds like a great idea!
    ~sandy
    visit my blog @ sandy's crafty creations

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the embossing idea. Could you change it up to an A2 somehow. Love the quilt block look. Tfs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting question Allison. It's directly related to color (and gradation) but I'm not sure if it would be a technique or a design style or something all together different :)

    ReplyDelete